HOME >  Life in CUPB  >  Life Services Other Languages

1) Campus Card

The Campus Card is a multi-purpose card, the size of a normal bank card. The card will display the student’s name, ID number and a photo of the student. It can be used to pay for food at the school canteen, borrow books from the school library and also as an access key to the international student’s dormitory building among other functions.

Every student’s Campus Card will be issued and managed by the University’s Information Center, which is located in office 202 in the north wing of the CNPC building. For topping up of value into the Campus Card or any other enquiries concerning the campus card, proceed to the Information Center. Daily office hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-11:00am and 2:00-4:00pm

Office Contact Number : 89734964

Automated Service Contact Number: 89732329.

The Campus Card is made based on student’s actual name and digital photos, which have to be submitted by the students during online registration. After the school term has started, the school will issue the Campus Cards to students, using the photos submitted during online registration and students ID number assigned to each student. The teachers in the International Student’s Center (room 102) are in charge of the enabling of the function for access to the international students’ dormitory building.

2) Clothings

Beijing’s climate is defined as continental monsoon with four distinct seasons. shorter springs and autumns, longer summers and winters. The annual average temperature is between 10 and 12 Degree Celsius. January is the coldest month with temperatures ranging between -7 and 4 Degree Celsius and can reach as low as -15 Degree Celsius while July is the hottest month with an average temperature of 25-26 Degree Celsius and can go as high as 38 Degree Celsius. Annual rainfall is about 60cm, of which 75% occurs in the months of July and August. Spring in Beijing is rather windy, so jackets, sweaters and pullovers are recommended. It is also advisable to bring along warm clothes for winter as it can be very cold and also summer wear like T-shirts, shirts, shorts/skirts, jeans for the hot summer. Students can also bring along their own cultural/traditional wear and accessories as it can be put to good use during cultural activities which the school holds. If you prefer to purchase these clothings after arriving in Beijing, there are various shopping centers (Yang Guang, Guo Tai, Wan Ke)which are close to the school or you could go to the shopping malls in downtown Beijing like Xi Dan, Wang Fu Jing, Silk Market and yabao road where bargaining is extremely common. On each level in the dormitory building, there will be a washing machine which is free of charge for students’ usage and so laundry can be done on-campus.


The washing machines can be used to wash clothings and the laundry should be removed promptly ;

Students are not allowed to use the washing machine to wash shoes and other items that might damage the washing machine;

Students should operate the machines reasonably, and not dismantle or damage the washing machines;

Students should pay extra attention to hygiene and conservation of water.

3) Food

Within the University’s campus area and around the University, there is a variety of restaurants, offering Western, Chinese and Muslim cusines. However, by comparison, the school’s cafeteria is cheaper. Within the Foreign Students Dormitory, there is also a common kitchen, equipped with induction cookers, microwave ovens amongst other kitchen equipment. Students are allowed to purchase their own personal kitchen utensils such as pots and pans to cook meals themselves. There are several restaurants around the school that offers takeaway service with cash on delivery basis.

There are a number of supermarkets and groceries shops, fruit stores and halal food stores around the school campus which allows for convenient shopping. There is also Beijing specialties such as the famous Beijing roast duck and mutton shabu shabu a stone throw away from the school.

Things to take note of when utilizing the common kitchen:

Kitchen cabinets, induction cookers, microwave ovens, dining tables and chairs are considered school properties and they should not be moved or dismantled without permission.

Individually purchased kitchenware should be kept well after usage

Electrical appliances should be reasonably operated, and turned off after usage promptly, students are not allowed to use an open flame to cook in the common kitchen

For the convenience of everybody, students are required to clean the kitchen after use, and maintain hygiene standard

Pay extra attention to fire safety and conservation of water and electricity

4) Accommodation

The University has 3 International Students Apartment blocks, and in accordance with the regulations of the school, students learning Chinese are required to live in on-campus apartments.

Campus apartments are standard Double rooms, catering for 2 and accommodation fees is 1200/1500RMB per month per person, depending on the size of the room. Living alone is not encourage and accommodation fees for a single room is double that of a double room. All rooms have a bathroom within and are equipped with beds(beddings and pillow), study tables, wardrobes, a television and air-conditioning. The monthly accommodation fees covers the water and electricity bills as well. The apartment building has a common kitchen, laundry room, activity room, study room, a grocery shop amongst other facilities. Students are allowed to bring or buy other daily necessities according to their personal needs.

Room service is offered daily and free of charge

The school has a outdoor track, an indoor swimming pool, a fitness gym, an indoor gymnasium (badminton), tennis courts, basketball courts, a table tennis room amongst other sports facilities on campus. Some facilities are free of charge for students while others charge hourly fees.

Students learning Chinese must live in the on-campus apartments, students doing their majors can choose to live off-campus but are required to obtain the teacher’s approval prior to moving out. Off-campus accommodation fees are slightly higher than that of on-campus apartments.

Students are required to adapt to life in China must return to the residence before 12:00am every night, students are not encouraged to stay out late

The standard voltage in China is 220V.

Things to take note of for students living in the Student Apartments :

Without prior approval from the International Students Administration Office, students are not allowed to exchange their rooms with other students

Outsiders are not allowed to stay overnight in rooms, foreign guests are required to register at the front desk;

Be considerate in the usage of the apartment’s facilities, students are required to make compensations for any damages incurred;

Maintain the cleanliness of the apartment, and cooperate with the attendant when they conduct their regular checks or when they are cleaning the room;

When in the apartment, students should not make too much noise, so as not to disturb others;

Students are not allowed to cook or use an open flame or use high-voltager electrical appliances inside the room;

Smoking, excessive drinking and engaging in any behavior in violation of Chinese laws and university regulations are not permitted;

Conserve water and electricity, and guard against theft and fire;

Entering apartments is by swiping of campus cards. Card related enquiries can be made in Office 102. A campus card cannot be borrowed, if lost, report the loss immediately to Office 102.

    Apartment opening hours: Sunday to Thursday 0600hrs-1800hrs, Friday to Saturday 0600hrs-0200hrs

    Names of students who returns after the hours allocated will be recorded and repeat offenders will be punished

    A student can only checkout of the room and return the key and door card after an inspection is done, and in the case of damages to any properties, the students will have to compensate for the damages

    The various Apartment contact numbers are as follows :

 A : 89733843, B : 89731201, C : 89735101

Students who break the rules and regulations of the accommodation block will be punished accordingly. Repeat offenders and serious offenders will be expelled from the apartments and the school.

Points to note for the International Student Off-Campus Housing

Students must seek approval to stay off campus, and must visit the local police station to get themselves registered. When renting an apartment outside campus, students must ensure that the housing information is from a reliable source, complete legal formalities. They must also ensure that they go together with their landlord, bearing his house leasing contract and lease permit, to the local police station for registration. All in all, students must ensure that the entire renting formalities are complete, valid and reliable.

During the course of study at the school, the address and contact details of students might change, and students are required to update the International Students Office of their new address, contact number and E-mail address. This is a necessary procedure because the International Student Office will send important notices often and there is a need to contact the students in case of any emergency. When students face difficulties and problems, they are encouraged to stay in touch with the office so that the teachers are able to provide timely help and advice. International Students Office will keep students’ contact information confidential.

Within 24 hours of moving in, students are required to register at the nearest police station;

When signing the rental contract, students need to read through the contract thoroughly to avoid future disputes

Students will have to pay extra attention to personal and property safety.

Maintain friendly relations with neighbors, and do not disturb them

There should be reasonable management of time

In case of any societal disputes, contact a teacher immediately or call the police by dialing 110.

5) Internet

Internet access is available in the on-campus apartments. Students are required to bring their Student ID card, residence certificate issued by the International Student Office and their personal computer’s MAC address information to the network center for Internet registration

Network Center address: CNPC Building, North wing Room 202

Contact Number : 89734965

Note: Excessive usage of the internet is detrimental to a student’s physical and mental health, and will affect studies

6) Library

The school library is open to international students and students can borrow books and library literature using their Student ID card.

Students entering the library should allow inspection by the library staff and must have with them their campus card. If any problems arise in the process of borrowing books or usage of the library, students can approach the library staff for help.

Borrowing of books can only be done after activating the campus card and paying of a deposit fee. When graduating, the deposit fee will be refunded upon producing the campus card.

Books from the library are generally only allowed to be borrowed for only a month, afterwhich the student can approach the library counter for renewals. Delays in returning of borrowed books to the library will result in appropriate punishments depending on the severity.


7) Student Associations

International students are allowed to join the International Students Association and the International and Chinese Exchange Association, amongst other interest clubs. Students are encouraged to actively participate in the various activities.

The International Students Office organises various activities, including a variety of sports events, visits to tourist attractions and cultural performances for international students to participate in during their free time, students ought to look out for notices.

The school has a outdoor track stadium, indoor stadium (badminton) which are open for international students to utilize. Some of the facilities charge an hourly fee. Students should take note not to disturb others or spoil any public equipment while utilizing these facilities.

8) Travelling

Public Transport: Beijing’s public transport system is convenient and very cheap. Buses 345 and 888 travels between the school district and Beijing’s city centre. Each trip will only cost 0.4RMB, using an adult transport card but if using a students’ transport card, it will only cost 0.2RMB. Every December, the school will assist students in applying for the students’ transport card. Specific dates will be announced closer to the date. Every student must prepare a passport size photograph, their students certificate and 50RMB(20RMB for the card and 30RMB to top up as credit into the card). The students’ transport card must be re-activated every September. Students are required to bring along their valid students’ certificate to any top up station. The nearest top up station is located one kilometer east of the school after exiting through the north gate.

Beijing Subway Metro. The Beijing Subway Metro is convenient and quick. Every trip on the metro costs 2RMB, regardless of distance of the journey. Nan Shao station is the nearest subway station from the school. After exiting Nan Shao subway station, take ‘Chang 1’ or ‘Chang 11’ buses to reach the school.

Taxis: Taxis that can be found around the school are not licensed taxis and students are not encourage to hire these taxis as safety is not guaranteed when taking these non-licensed taxis. For licensed city taxis, which can be found in Beijing’s city area, the flag dow price is 10RMB for the first 3 kilometers and 2RMB for every additional kilometer. There is a 1RMB fuel surcharge for every ride.

Motorcycles. International students are prohibited from riding motorcycles in Beijing and if caught doing so, the motorcycle will be confiscated and the student will be severely punished.

Main bus routes around the University.

To reach De Sheng Men : 345 express, 888 express

To reach Nan Shao subway metro station: Chang 51, Chang 59, Chang 11, Chang 2, Chang 1, Bus 947.

Train: Beijing has three main railway stations, Beijing Railway Station, Beijing West Railway Station and Beijing South Railway Station, leading to various cities in China. To purchase a train ticket, students can go straight to the railway stations or ticket resale outlets near the school or Changping North Station

Air Travel: There are many outlets that provide airline ticketing services around the school, it is recommended that international students purchase tickets from proper ticketing offices and avoid buying tickets online.

Note: Students are allowed to travel in their free time. Students are required to bring along their passport, and take good care of all important documents and valuables. Students should choose to travel to tourist locations that are open to foreigners. International students are not permitted to enter areas that are not open to foreigners. In case of scientific research or academic needs, foreign students are required to obtain specific approval before they can enter areas that are not opened to foreigners. Violation of the above provisions will result in punishment by the law enforcement agencies according to the relevant provisions of the Aliens Law of the People's Republic of China ". Travelling is only allowed on weekends, holidays and during the summer or winter vacations. Students are not allowed to ask for leave during the academic semester to travel.

9) shopping

There are a number of large supermarkets around the school, within walking distance, where students can buy vegetables, fruit, snacks and other daily necessities. Opening hours for these supermarkets ar 9:00 am - 9:00 pm.

Fresh fruit and vegetables can be bought from vegetable stores around the school 

Halal food can be purchased from halal stores in the vicinity of schools.

There is a trend of online shopping as it is fast and convenient, but students are highly encouraged to only purchase goods from legitimate online shops, to avoid being scammed. Students MUST NOT remit money to strangers through bank transfers. In case of any queries seek assistance from a teacher.

10) Postal Information

For contact with family or friends, use the following address. 

Student’s name

International Center

China University of Petroleum-Beijing

18 Fuxue Rd. Changping,

Beijing 102249


There are a number of post offices in the vicinity of the school and its very convenient. There are post office drop boxes within the campus. For collection of parcels, students can go to the mail room located at the eastern side of the north gate.

For international parcels, DHL provides door-to-door service, contact number : 800 -810-8000.

There are plenty of Chinese domestic logistics companies, with varying levels of service quality, but there is a logistic company near the University named ‘Feikang Da’ which provides good and reliable services, Contact Number : 69717511

11) Medical Care

The on-campus hospital offers medical services 7 days a week and 24 hours a day. The two biggest hospitals in Changing district are located near the school. In case of emergencies, dial 999 for immediate medical service.

According to regulations, all international students studying in China should purchase a  600RMB personal accident insurance every year. Personal accident insurance covers medical expenses incurred during treatment of illness or after an accident. Medical expenses will not be reimbursed for those who concealed psychosis, epilepsy, infectious or mental illnesses history from the University. The University reserves the right to expel a student that are infected by one or more of the above mentioned diseases.

Company-sponsored students are allowed to reimburse part of their medical expenses, procedure is as follows:

Students pay for their medical expenses first;

Submit relevant medical invoices to Office 105 before the 5th of every month;

Reimbursement will be made on the 5th of the next month in Office 205.

The reimbursement amount should not exceed the amount the company allocated for reimbursement per student per year.

Things to take note of for company sponsored students’ medical expenses reimbursement:

For reimbursement of medical expenses, students must submit the hospital invoice issued;

Medical reimbursement provided by the company includes treatment costs incurred by students due to illness or accidental injury, hospital expenses and ambulance fees but it does not include cosmetic fillings, childbirth, abortion and other expenses. It also does not include registration fees, residual fees and transportation costs incurred during hospitalisation;

Drug purchases at pharmacies cannot be reimbursed;

If students are unable to afford the expensive medical expenses, application can be made to the Management Division to request for them to make payment on behalf first.

Required documents for accident insurance reimbursement

   Passport copy of the student;

Student’s China bank card number;

Doctor’s diagnosis, hospital admission and discharge documents;

Invoice and details of medical expenses.

Medical expenses incurred due to the following behavior are not reimbursable 

ntentional injury, self-injury;

Fighting, excessive consumption of alcohol, consumption or injection of drugs;

Drunk driving, driving without a valid driving license,

Orthopedic, cosmetic or rehabilitative treatment;

Pregnancy, miscarriage or childbirth;

Medication not prescribed by a doctor;

Medical expenses incurred outside mainland China;

Other behaviors which violates Chinese laws or school rules

12) Money and Banking

In China, students can only use RenMinBi. The unit of the RenMinBi is yuan, the abbreviation symbol is RMB. There are a total of 13 note denominations, namely the 100 yuan, 50 yuan, 20 yuan, 10 yuan, 5 yuan, 2 yuan, 1 yuan, 50 cents, 10 cents. Coins have denominations of 1yuan, 50 cents, 10 cents, 5 cents, 2 cents and 1 cent.
Around the school, there are branches for Agricultural Bank of China and Bank of China, they provide deposit, remittance and exchange services. When carrying out a transaction at the bank, students MUST bring along their passport. There are many ATMs in the school campus. The monthly allowance of students on scholarship and payment of school fees by students not on scholarship is done through Agricultural Bank of China.
If a student loses their bank card, the student should immediately bring along their passport and make a report on the loss, Students on scholarship are required to update the International Office on their new card number and inform teacher Wu in office 205 , to ensure that the monthly allowance is given out to the students.
Do not remit money to others, especially strangers, and do not just believe anyone, to avoid being fooled/scammed Alpha

13) religion

The University respects the various religious beliefs of students, the school will not interference in the students’ participation in religious activities. However, the school does not allow foreign students to participate in illegal religious activities that undermine China's social stability, or those. There is a Mosque near the school, where students can go for prayers. The school also set up a prayer room for Muslim students to use in the school’s Student Apartment A on the 4th floor.

Commonly used contact numbers

First Aid : 999

Fire Aid : 119

Police : 110

Traffic Accidents: 112

Song yuan police station: 89731949

Beijing Exit-Entry Administration: 84020101

campus phone numbers:

International Student Management Division: 209 office: 89733796; 102 Office: 89733979;

school security office: 89733333

Chinese language department: 89733154

international exchange center front: 89733170

Foreign Students Dormitory A: 89733843

Foreign Students Dormitory B: 89731201

Foreign Students Dormitory C: 89735101