2017 CUP was shortlisted for the national “Double World-class” Initiative.
2015 The Campus at Karamay, an oil city in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, was inaugurated.
2014 The Ministry of Education signed an agreement with the five major petroleum and petrochemical enterprises of China to jointly develop CUP.
2005 The university was renamed China University of Petroleum (CUP).
2000 The university, previously owned by China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), became one of the universities subordinate to the Ministry of Education.
1997 The university was shortlisted as one of the first national “211” Project universities.
1989 University of Petroleum (Beijing) began to enroll undergraduates.
1988 The university was upgraded and renamed University of Petroleum, consisting of University of Petroleum (Beijing) and University of Petroleum (East China).
1981 The graduate department was established on the original site of Beijing Petroleum Institute.
1969 The university was relocated to Dongying in Shandong Province and renamed East China Petroleum Institute.
1960 The university was rated as a national key university.
1953 The university was founded, known as Beijing Petroleum Institute at the time.