Language Teachers (Confucius Institute) Scholarship
For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries. the Center For Language Education And Cooperation (CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Confucius Institutes independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges (“host institutions”).
a) non-Chinese citizens;
b) in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
c) committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
d) between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25.
Scholarship Categories and Requirements :
Scholarship for Academic Year Study: The program commences in September 2022, and provides scholarship for a maximum of eleven months. International students who have benefited from similar scholarships are not eligible.
For the area of TCSOL, applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
For the areas of Chinese Language and Literature, applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
For the area of Chinese Language Study, applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3).Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
Scholarship for One-Semester Study: The program commences either in September 2022 or March 2023, and provides scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
For the areas of TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
Scholarship for Four-Week Study: The program commences either in July or December and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible. Chinese Study, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Taiji Culture, Chinese Language plus Home-Stay Experience in a Chinese Family.
Special Four-week Program for Confucius Institutes: An HSK test score is required. The program may be organized and applied for by a recommending institution with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip, a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with host institutions and such plan shall be submitted to CLEC for approval.
The scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fees, accommodation fees, living allowance (four-week study students are excluded), and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
1. Tuition: Tuition is paid to the university, for the training and management of the students, one HSK test fee and one HSKK test fee. Textbooks are excluded.
2. Accommodation fee: Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide students with in-campus apartments (usually double rooms). Students may also live off-campus upon application and getting permission from the host institutions. Students who live off-campus are entitled to an accommodation allowance of 1000 CNY per person/month for doctoral students and 700 CNY per person/month for other students paid on a monthly/quarterly basis from the host institutions.
3. Living allowance: Living allowance is granted by host institutions on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for undergraduates, one-academic-year study students, and one-semester students is 2,500 CNY per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within a stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarships may be canceled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by the host institutions, the allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out, or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or the expiration day of the study confirmed by host institutions.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance: Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China. The insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for four-week study students, 400 CNY for one-semester students, and 800 CNY per year for students engaged in the program longer than one academic year.
1. Scanned copies of all China visa pages and China entry and exit record pages
2. Scanned copies of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity);
3. A reference letter by the head of the recommending institution
4. Online application form
5. Notarized copies of your Highest Degree certificates, and transcripts
6. Certificates of Chinese competitions you participated in institutions.
7. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
8. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
1. Contact and choose a recommending institution. Usually, the Confucius Institute which you registered should be the recommending institution. Confucius Institutes, independently operated classrooms with the history for more than half a year (can be found at http://www.hanban.org).
2. Online Application: Applicants log in scholarship website http://cis.chinese.cn , register then fill in the application on line, and upload all the required documents since March 1, 2022.
3. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the host institutions to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the scholarship certificate online, and register at host institutions on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
Application Deadlines (Beijing Time):
1. Four-Week Students in July 2022: student application must complete before April 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before April 25th;
2. One-Academic-Year / One semester students started in September 2022: student application must complete before May 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before May 25th;
3. Four-Week Students in December 2022: student application must complete before September 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before September 25th;
4. One semester students started in March 2023: student application must complete before November 15th; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before November 25th.
College of International Education
China University of Petroleum(Beijing)
College of International Education
China University of Petroleum
Beijing P.R. China, 102249